Mobile Bike Mechanic, Bike Share Toronto
March 12, 2019
As a Mobile Bike Mechanic, you will play an important role in the Bike Share Toronto operation to ensure a seamless and high-quality customer experience. Using the Bike Share Toronto fleet, you will bike between station locations to perform safety checks, cleanings, and minor repairs on inoperative bikes. You will also be an ambassador for Bike Share Toronto in the community, providing the best customer service to current and potential members while in the field.
Mobile Bike Mechanics enjoy working outdoors, being physically active, and contributing to a greener and healthier community. The ideal candidate will have experience cycling in the city, superior customer service skills, and an ability to influence and lead peers with poise and a positive attitude.
This is a seasonal position concluding in October with the possibility of continuing through the winter season.
- Must complete mandatory safety, skills assessment and orientation prior to field deployment
- Perform in-field bike inspections and on-site repair/adjustments according to Shift Transit standards
- Communicate field findings and activities directly to Operations leadership
- Coordinate location and retrieval of inoperative bikes in the field with Operations leader
- Set the highest standards as a Bike Share Toronto ambassador, interacting with tourists, locals, existing and potential Bike Share clients
- Perform other duties in the field as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
- Must be conditioned to bike 30-50 kilometres daily
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must have mechanical training or experience (preference will be given to candidates experience repairing and maintaining bicycles)
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Excellent knowledge of the city of Toronto and commuter routes
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must have the ability to bend, crawl, stoop and stand for long periods of time
- Must be willing to work in all weather conditions year round
- Must be available to work a varied schedule of days, evenings weekends and /or holidays
- Must have great human relations skills, written and verbal communication skills, decision making and organizational skills
- Advanced knowledge and use of parts and maintenance procedures
- All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities to accomplish company key performance indicators.
- Shift Transit is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering a positive and progressive culture with a workforce that is representative of the population it serves.
About Shift Transit
Founded in 2015, Shift Transit is a leading mobility operations company, offering clients a robust suite of services. From operating all facets of bikeshare systems (including station site planning, station and bike deployment and maintenance, fleet rebalancing, marketing and sales) to managing carsharing fleets, Shift Transit has quickly become one of the most agile and respected mobility management firms in the field. Shift Transit has 110 employees in seven offices across North America and currently powers bikesharing systems in Toronto, Detroit, Chattanooga, Tucson, and Ann Arbor and carsharing services in Chicago and Austin. In 2018 alone, customers took over 2.5 million trips using Shift Transit platforms.
Shift Transit is seeking experienced drivers to help with all aspects of bicycle redistribution throughout Toronto. Rebalancers help to maintain optimal numbers of available docks and bikes for Bike Share Toronto customers.
Learn more about our philosophy here.