General Manager, Bike Share Toronto
March 22, 2019
Founded in 2015, Shift Transit is a leading mobility operations company, offering clients a robust suite of services. From operating all facets of bikeshare systems (including station site planning, station and bike deployment and maintenance, fleet rebalancing, marketing and sales) to managing carsharing fleets, Shift Transit has quickly become one of the most agile and respected mobility management firms in the field. Shift Transit has 110+ employees in seven offices across North America and currently powers bike sharing systems in Toronto, Detroit, Chattanooga, Tucson, and Ann Arbor and carsharing services in Chicago and Austin. In 2018 alone, customers took over 2.5 million trips using Shift Transit platforms.
As the operator of Bike Share Toronto, Shift Transit manages the operation of 3750 bikes and 360 stations that covers more than 75 square kilometers across the city of Toronto. With a planned 2019 expansion that will add 1250 bikes and 105 additional stations.
As the strategic leader of the entire Bike Share Toronto program, the General Manager will focus on ensuring complete operational excellence throughout the entire Bike Share Toronto system. Our vision is to present Bike Share Toronto as the leading sustainable means of transportation for the purpose of commuting and fun. This translates into a mission that supports the development of operational S.O.P.’s to ensure our riders have the absolute best experience in the industry. Leading our Field Operations, Mechanic, Mobile Bike Team and Station Technicians efforts will play a pivotal role in delivering our mission, while simultaneously executing State of Good Repair, Bikes in Fleet, Rebalancing, Expansion and Refurbishment strategies, Customer Service and Marketing.
This role works in complete collaboration with the Director of Marketing, while being responsible for the performance of the entire program.
- Live the Shift Transit Philosophy daily.
- Ensure compliance with all Client/Shift Transit KPI’s including but not limited to:
- Graffiti removal
- Bicycle cleaning and inspection
- Station cleanliness
- Bicycle availability
- System functionality
- Expansion deployment
- System refurbishment
- Station relocations
- Complete ownership of facility management.
- Vehicle and fleet maintenance and availability.
- Planning for and recruiting staff for all seasons and special projects.
- Ensuring Ontario Health & Safety compliance.
- Properly managing the spare parts and ordering process.
- Supporting all marketing initiatives with operational logistics.
- Collaborate with and assist the Director of Marketing on strategic operational plans aimed to deliver increased ridership.
Required Skills and Experience
- A natural leader with a proven track record of inspiring and developing teams.
- A passion for the Toronto cycling culture and the influence Bike Share Toronto has in that culture.
- An understanding of the Bike Share industry in Canada and globally.
- A “Let’s go” attitude through personal example and by inspiring the team, creating a profoundly positive and supportive culture.
- Ability to strategically plan Bike Share Toronto priorities, programs and execution.
- Experience in large scale project management.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of IT solutions and app-based services to enhance operational processes.
- Ability to identify priorities and execute critical tasks.
- Excellent communication skills with both upward and downward communication.
- Ability to lead the entire Bike Share Toronto team efficiently with the ability to show tangible results.
- Patience and ability to be self-directed as well as lead in a team setting.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours as the business dictates.
- All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Shift Transit key performance indicators.
- Shift Transit Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive culture with a workforce that is representative of the population it serves. Applications from women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and visible minority group members are encouraged.
- Job Type: Salaried Full-time