Bicycle Mechanic, Bike Chattanooga (Part-Time)
May 6, 2019
About Bike Chattanooga:
Shift Transit is a leader in North American urban bicycle share program development and operations. Shift Transit, with its partner PBSC Urban Solutions, has years of experience planning, implementing, and operating bicycle share programs across North America. Through careful planning and collaboration with our clients in each city, we take pride in delivering an excellent experience to both our riders and our clients. Bike Chattanooga, operated by Shift Transit, provides over 350 bikes and 41 stations to the Chattanooga Community and visitors. Bike Chattanooga provides short term, point-to-point, bike rentals through a network of wireless, solar-powered kiosks located throughout Downtown, the TN Riverwalk, and UTC Campus.
Overview of Position:
Bike Chattanooga is seeking a Bike Mechanic to help with all aspects of bicycle maintenance, cleaning, and repair. Training on technical and unique aspects of Bike Share bikes will be provided. You’ll be a part of a groundbreaking team that focuses on the successful launch of an
innovative bicycle transportation system with emphasis on building strong client and sponsor relationships while exceeding the highest standards for service.
Key Aspects of Position:
- Interact with customers and potential customers in public—represent Bike Chattanooga and SHIFT responsibly and effectively.
- Inspect and evaluate bicycles and bike share stations for safety, functionality, and cleanliness.
- Perform routine bicycle maintenance, cleaning, and repairs as necessary.
- Identify and report bicycles in need of in-house repair.
- Use communication and computer technology effectively to record all
- Assist in maintaining an OSHA compliant workplace.
- Receive training in all aspects of Bike Chattanooga operations, including:
– Bicycle maintenance and repair
– Basic customer service
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish SHIFT’S Mission.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience in bicycle repair.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record.
- Good mechanical and technical aptitude.
- Ability to ride a bicycle and/or drive a light truck to bike share station locations and other locations as necessary.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability and willingness to work various shifts as assigned, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability and willingness to work in various locations in varying weather conditions during all 4 seasons, as this is a year-round operation.
- Comfortable in a fast paced, warehouse/shop environment.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; cycle up to 10 miles per day in urban areas; stoop, bend, and stand for long periods of time.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with hand, air, and power tools.
- Experience driving trucks or large vans in city traffic.
- Experience in construction, fabrication, or other similar trade.
- Previous bicycle, mechanical and/or logistics experience.
All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Shift Transit key performance indicators.
Employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.